Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Another Journey Ahead

For those who are just checking in or glancing at this blog.  I have been MIA for several years, although I do check in, or respond to comments or emails.  I haven't been actively involved in the Tourettes World here in Utah like we were in Ohio.  This decision was mostly because I had so much on my plate to navigate, and help everyone get settled, and functioning with the new change, different state, new schools, and I was finishing up my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.  Let's just sum it all up for not enough time in the day to keep up on the blog.

It has been 5 years since our move from Cincinnati, Ohio.  We have been living in the Salt Lake City/Northern Utah area.  My kids are enormously big and grown up.  I will have to post an update another day, with Pictures, I promise.

I have decided to start my Masters of Special Education program.  It has been my life long goal to do get my degree and work in education, doing what I have the most experience in Special Education.  I have spent the last 3 years teaching in a regular education classroom, both in a public setting and a charter school setting.  I still get frustrated at the things I have seen in school when it comes to identifying students with learning needs, and difficulties.   It seems that I know what I am talking about and my suggestions and experience works well in my classroom, but for others they seem to think that having 3 children with Tourette Syndrome, isn't enough experience, I need the degree.  So it is the degree I am getting to make sure I can move as many kids forward in their education and set them up for success as I can.

I am hoping to post information and direction for the rest of you.  The most visited post on this blog is about Accommodations in the classroom for student with Tourette Syndrome, which I posted in October 2010.  There is so much more information available now then there ever was 5 years ago, and TSA.org has come a long way is getting the word out there and assistance with educational material.

If you have a great resource or link you would like to share for other families to access;  feel free to email me at morethantics@gmail.com.

I specifically will be looking for more resources for accommodations in college.  Tanner is going to be needing these in the next few months, as he prepares to embark on that journey.  (He's dragging his feet at going but we have to at least try it all out to see if it is something he wants to do)

Here's to another journey ahead, and sharing what I learn.

Happy Days,

Cari

No comments:

Post a Comment